Description:Lumos Labs is the industry leader in brain training. Since the launch of Lumosity in 2007, more than 100 million users have trained their cognitive skills by playing over 7 billion training games. We believe in helping people keep their brains challenged through playful, meaningful experiences grounded in science.
We’re committed to building upon our brand to become world leaders in digital health and medicine, and are actively developing prescription digital therapeutics in our Lumos Labs Medical division.
From neuroscience to art, we combine diverse disciplines to create a brain training program that is both engaging and accessible — making cognitive research available to everyone. We draw upon scientific research, user-friendly design, and engagement with our user base to continuously improve our product. Through the Human Cognition Project, we collaborate with over 100 leading researchers and clinicians from institutions around the world.
We are looking for an experienced, dynamic attorney to lead our legal function who is comfortable working in a complex environment with a broad set of evolving legal needs and able to partner with executive management to shape the company's strategy. As the Company’s sole in-house attorney, you will guide our strategy with respect to regulatory (consumer and medical device), general corporate, intellectual property, marketing, and privacy matters and a broad range of commercial agreements. You will also manage our network of law firm relationships to drive execution. Our ideal candidate has excellent academic credentials and several years of experience at both a top law firm and other technology companies, ideally in consumer Internet or life sciences.
What You’ll Do:
- Review product features and marketing materials for Company’s new and existing products
- Review, negotiate and draft a wide variety of contracts, including research agreements, partnership agreements, and contracts with service providers
- Oversee regulatory and compliance matters Retain and supervise outside counsel across a range of substantive areas and geographies, including managing budgets and communications
- Be responsive to corporate governance, M&A, equity compensation, and shareholder matters, including working closely with finance, human resources, and management functions
- Manage litigation or adversarial matters
- Support the Company’s HR team and ensure compliance with employment laws
- Develop and maintain strategies for the protection and development of all forms of the Company’s intellectual property, including its trademarks and patents
- J.D. from a top tier law school with excellent academic credentials
- 8+ years of combined large law firm and in house legal practice, including experience at a top law firm and at least 2 years in house at a technology company
- Experience with the range of substantive legal areas that are relevant to a consumer Internet technology company
- Creative problem-solving skills and ability to thrive in a startup environment Strong track record of collaboration with cross-functional teams
- Knowledge of relevant privacy laws, including General Data Protection Regulation, California Consumer Privacy Act, and California Privacy Rights Act, etc.
- A demonstrated passion for Lumosity’s mission
- Prior experience in life sciences or digital therapeutics is preferred but not required
- California bar admission
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Competitive compensation, including salary and benefits on par with later-stage companies and equity compensation on par with earlier-stage ones.
- The excitement and fun of the early-stage startup paired with the maturity and stability of a later-stage business with substantial revenue and company infrastructure.
- An egoless environment that fosters collaboration of all types. We have a culture of ownership, trust, camaraderie, and fun.
- A focus on sustainability - in our products, our business, and for our employees.
- A culture that values coming together and sharing our varied interests to illuminate new and inspiring ideas, all with a focus on helping our users make meaningful improvements in their lives.
- The opportunity to learn, grow, and bond with a tight community of co-workers based in SF, and with teammates around the world (NY, Portland, Minnesota, Brazil, Serbia, Ukraine, India).
- All of the perks that one would expect from a modern-day SF tech company.
- Lumos Labs values diversity and recognizes that employees from a broad range of perspectives improves both the practice of science and the brain training experience for everyone. We are committed to inclusion, diversifying tech, and advocating for diversity in our employees, their experiences, and the people we serve.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.