Open to the general public and any current Municipal employee.
This is an Executive position and the incumbent serves at the pleasure of the Assembly Counsel.
Hours of Work: Monday through Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Occasionally required to work Assembly Meetings after 5:00 p.m.
Location: 632 W. 6th Avenue, Suite 260
Example of Duties
Under general direction of the Assembly Counsel, this position assists the Assembly Counsel to provide legal services to the Anchorage Municipal Assembly in it’s execution of legislative and administrative functions in accordance with all applicable laws, ordinances, rules and regulations. This position serves as a secondary principal legal advisor to the Assembly, assists the Assembly Counsel in this role. Prepares ordinances, resolutions and related memoranda. Attends Assembly meetings and committee meetings as directed. Advises the Assembly on legal matters. Drafts written legal opinions under guidance of the Assembly Counsel. Advises Municipal Clerk on elections and administrative functions. Advises the Board of Adjustment and Commission on Salaries and Emoluments as required. Represent the Municipal Clerk, Assembly, and Assembly members in litigation when needed. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications / Substitutions / Preferences
- Juris Doctor (JD) degree and three (3) years of professional legal work experience in the area of municipal or administrative law in the State of Alaska or the equivalent elsewhere.
- Membership in good standing with the Alaska Bar Association.
- Knowledge of: The Anchorage Municipal Code, Charter and applicable federal, state and municipal laws, rules and regulations; principles, practices and procedures of case preparation and presentation; judicial procedures; municipal department organization; parliamentary law and procedure, application of public policy
- Skill in: The development of legal opinions
- Ability to: Communicate effectively with others