Description:Exelixis is seeking an Associate Corporate Counsel, Contracts to join the Legal Department’s contracting team, reporting to the Executive Director, Legal Affairs and Senior Corporate Counsel. You will be an integral member of the Legal Department and will have the opportunity to operate independently in a dynamic environment to support the growing contracting needs of Exelixis. You will work collaboratively with various teams across the organization, including Digital Transformation, IT, Finance/Accounting, Investor Relations/Public Affairs, Human Resources, Real Estate, Facilities, Compliance and others, as well as with external counsel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Draft, negotiate, and manage a wide range of contracts, including confidentiality agreements, service agreements, consulting agreements, task orders and amendments thereto.
- Advise and troubleshoot on existing agreements.
- Identify risks and be able to communicate those risks to appropriate internal decision-makers for discussion and resolution.
- Liaise with various internal clients effectively to address legal and business questions.
- Ensure contracts accurately convey business terms while protecting Exelixis’ interests.
- Advise contracts manager on complex negotiations.
- Support the development of contracting playbooks and templates.
- Ensure continuity and improvement in the quality, efficiency, and effectiveness of contracting systems, processes and procedures.
- Supervises staff, including hiring, scheduling, and assigning work, reviewing performance, and
- recommends salary increases, promotions, transfers, demotions, or terminations.
- Provide direction to other individuals.
Education/experience/knowledge & Skills:
- BS/BA degree, preferably in life sciences or a related field.
- JD degree required and must be admitted to practice, preferably in California.
- Minimum of three years of transactional experience as an attorney in a law firm or in-house legal environment.
- Possesses executive presence and ability to interact comfortably with executives and senior management, clear and concise verbal and written communication skills, and must have excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to implement organizational or team objectives.
- Ability to develop creative technical and/or business solutions for complex problems and implement organizational or team objectives.
- Must be efficient, detail-oriented and have strong organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and with the ability to re-prioritize on short time frames.
- Acts responsibly and conscientiously.
- Works under pressure to meet specific deadlines.
- Works independently and in a team environment.
- Dedicated to quality, reliability, and highest professional standards in all work tasks.
- Must be a self-starter and quick learner.
- Must have good judgment.
- Requires strong computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Document Comparison programs, etc.) and Internet).
- Environment: primarily working indoors, performing clerical work
- Travel not required